Helping You Resolve Your Debt Problems
Adrian M. Lapas
I strive to give your case the personal and professional attention it deserves. When you hire an attorney, you should be able to speak with the attorney experienced in bankruptcy cases. As an attorney, I have been practicing bankruptcy law since 1993.
I am certified as a specialist in Consumer Bankruptcy Law by the North Carolina State Bar. Additionally, I am a member of the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys and received a Distinguished Service Award. I am also a member of the Bankruptcy Section of the North Carolina Bar Association. I have been designated as “Legal Elite 2012” by Business North Carolina magazine.
I am also a graduate of Max Gardner’s Bankruptcy Boot Camp–a nationally renowned intensive training session where bankruptcy cases are reviewed for abusive creditor behavior.
I also frequently make presentations at Continuing Legal Education seminars across the state on bankruptcy issues. I have presented on several occasions at the Bankruptcy Institute sponsored by the NC Bar Association and other seminars addressing a variety of bankruptcy and consumer protection topics.
In the spring of 2010, I testified before the United States House of Representatives Subcommittee on Commercial and Administrative Law on proposed legislation that would affect private student loans in bankruptcy.
I am also a contributing member for the Bankruptcy Law Network, a law blog discussing bankruptcy issues. The Bankruptcy Law Network is a number of highly qualified bankruptcy attorneys from across the country discussing various topics as it relates to bankruptcy.
I graduated from Wake Forest University School of Law in 1993 with a Juris Doctor degree. Prior to that, I graduated in 1990 from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill with a bachelor’s degree in Political Science.
I served in the United States Navy for four years as a member of a helicopter squadron based out of Barbers Point, Hawaii and made a WestPac cruise as part of the air detachment aboard the USS Badger (FF-1071). Ports of call included Cubi Point, Philippines; Mombasa, Kenya; Karachi, Pakistan; Midway Island and 89 fun-filled days in the Indian Ocean.
- Testimony before U.S. House of Representatives Committee on Student Loans in Bankruptcy
- Distinguished Service Award, National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- Legal Elite, Business North Carolina
- Super Lawyers
- Consumer Bankruptcy Cases typically representing consumer debtors
- Consumer Litigation under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and other consumer protection laws
- North Carolina, 1993
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of North Carolina, 1993
- U.S. Court of Appeals Fourth Circuit, 2002
- Wake Forest University School of Law, Winston Salem, North Carolina
- Juris Doctor - 1993
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- B.A. - 1990
- Major: Political Science
- National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys
- National Association of Consumer Advocates
Certified Legal Specialties
- Certified Specialist in Consumer Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina State Bar